As a first-time taxi rider, your knowledge about using them is likely limited to what you saw on television. Although riding in a taxi is not overly complicated, there are some things to know before you jump into the car:
- Get a quote. Even if you are only traveling a short distance in the taxi, you want to know what you can expect for the fare. Taxi company dispatchers can provide you with an estimate of what you would be charged. Although the final total might be different, you will have an idea so you can ensure you have enough.
- Do not hail a taxi. You have likely seen people hailing taxis and jumping in them to ride into the sunset in movies. However, hailing a taxi can take time sometimes. There is also the possibility that there are no taxis readily available in your area. To avoid this, call the taxi company and request a ride.
- Be prepared to pay in the correct currency. If you are traveling outside of the country, you will likely have to pay in your destination city's currency. If you are not prepared to do so, you could be left without a ride.
- Map out your ride. Your taxi driver has an obligation to take the most direct route. You can help to ensure that he or she does by knowing ahead of time exactly what route you want to take. If you find a shorter route using GPS or a map, let the driver know. He or she will be appreciative.
- Make sure the taxi is licensed. In some cities, unlicensed drivers operate their own taxis. If you choose to hail a cab, you want to be sure the driver is licensed. Without licensing, there is no guarantee that the driver and taxi are up to the standards set by the local authority. A sticker detailing the licensing should be visible.
- Take your things out of the taxi before paying. One of the most common mistakes that passengers make is forgetting some or all of their belongings in taxis. To avoid this, try to remove your things from the taxi and then pay. If you get in the habit of doing this, you are less likely to forget in the future.
Riding a taxi for the first time can be a pleasurable and exciting experience. Pay attention to what you are doing and enjoy the ride. Contact a company like City Cab for more information and assistance.Share